Application (Public Housing & Section 8)
No one will be added to the waiting list for the Rensselaer Housing Authority unless ALL of the paperwork that applies to them is filled out completely when submitted. We do not accept incomplete applications.
The process to find you eligible or ineligible takes approximately 2 to 4 weeks, depending on the time it takes for us to receive requested information. Our Waiting List is about 3 months to 3 years, depending on the size of the unit you qualify for. We will contact you when an apartment is available. To ensure that we reach you, please notify our office IMMEDIATELY if you should move or change your phone number.
For those wishing to apply for public housing and/or Section 8 through the Rensselaer Housing Authority, the following is a list of necessary items that must be MAILED in with the application paperwork found at the bottom of this page. Please mail in COPIES on any required documentation listed below for ALL persons that will be living with you:
- Birth Certificate
- Social Security cards
- Driver’s License or non-drivers ID
- Marriage License (if married)
- 1040 Income Tax form from prior year
- Military Discharge papers (if applicable)
- Current rent receipts with Landlord’s name, address and phone number.
- Previous Landlord’s names, addresses and telephone numbers for the past 5 years.
- Utility bills for the last six months
- Statement from doctor in regards to Handicap, Disability or pregnancy (within HIPA Laws)
- Notice of Eviction if being evicted or asked to vacate. Documentation pertaining to housing status (Displacement, Substandard housing, Homelessness)
- Income statements for all family members. Includes any or all combinations of the following:
- SSA or SSI Award Letters (if applicable). If you do not have a Benefit Verification, you may obtain a copy by calling 1-800-772-1213.
- Public Assistance budget worksheet (if applicable)
- Income statement from Employer or last 6 paystubs
- Support Agreement (if applicable)
- Names, addresses and telephone numbers of three reference who are not related to you
- Release of Authorization form – must be signed and notarized.
Applications may be mailed to:
Rensselaer Housing Authority
85 Aiken Avenue
Rensselaer, NY 12114
You may bring the application in person to the Rensselaer Housing Authority office window on Monday, Wednesday and Fridays ONLY from 8:00 am until 3:30 pm.
If you have any questions, please contact our office at 518-436-0230 Ext. 4 and someone will return your call.